Objective of the Competition
The purpose of the competition is to select an optimal plan to create a cultural park consisting of a complex of exhibition and educational facilities and a columbarium to commemorate and share the pain of the victims of the Sewol ferry disaster. In addition, we would like to use this as an opportunity to contemplate and discuss how the disaster should be remembered.
- Site Address: In Hwarang Park, 667 Choji-dong, Danwon-gu, Ansan-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
- Zoning District: Natural green area
- Building Coverage Ratio : Less than 20%
- Floor Area Ratio: Less than 80%
- Number of Stories: 4 stories or less
- Site Area: 23,000㎡ (within Hwarang Park 608,855㎡)
- Required Total Floor Area: 9,962㎡ (allowable within ±5%)
- Use: Cultural and assembly facilities (exhibition hall)
- Competition Format: International / open / staged (Stage 1 and Stage 2)
- Total Cost: 36,500,000,000 KRW (VAT included)
- Estimated Construction Cost for the Winning Plan: 31,000,000,000 KRW
- Estimated Cost for Exhibition & Contents Construction Documents, Production and Installation: 5,500,000,000 KRW
- Estimated Design Fee: 1,681,935,000 KRW (VAT included)
- Design Period: 12 months from commencement of work.
- 1st Stage: Open to domestic and international professionals in the field of architecture and landscape architecture as individuals or teams.
- Please refer to 2.2 Eligibility for more detailed qualification requirements in design guide line.
- Official Languages: Korean and/or English.
- System of Measurement: Metric system.
Prizes and Awards
Stage 1: A maximum of 5 teams will be selected to participate in Stage 2.
Stage 2: Winning Team: The winning team will be awarded design commissions for schematic design, design development and construction documents and rights to design intent realization(to be based on a separate contract).
4 additional teams will be awarded prize money as follows:
- 2nd Place: 60,000,000 KRW
- 3rd Place: 45,000,000 KRW
- 4th Place: 30,000,000 KRW
- 5th Place: 15,000,000 KRW
Hosting and Sponsors
- Host: The City of Ansan
- Sponsors: The Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, OPC(Office for Government Policy Coordination)’s Office for Supporting Sewol Ferry Accident Victims and Memorial Project.